Ran across an interesting blog entry tonight from ol David Gunther but he doesn't allow comments and has not posted in about a month but his post on the ontological artsy christian blog was hilarious only because I could think of a perfect example of that type.
Boy its pretty out... relaxed and enchanted, as only a late Saturday afternoon in the northeast can be. The opening strains of "With or Without You" soar into the coffeeshop space. Blogging is a lazy way of me paying tribute to that beauty all around, staring me in the face and sneaking up behind me.
I spent today 1) purchasing tickets to visit Oxford in January 2) applying to Graduate schools 3) trying to get back in touch with myself and where I am going in life. Sometimes it runs away from you before you even notice it, and one afternoon in the waning, cooling weather with about 4 hot water refills on a cup of tea is barely enough to get back astride of yourself....
....but it sure helps.
I found this entry ridiculously entertaining and I cannot by good conscience give the identity of this "ontological artsy christian blogger" but maybe you can figure it out. Any guesses?
Below is David's post.It scarily describes the post that I quoted above. Did he by chance read the same blog as I did? Or the more probable scarier alternative, there are tons of people who blog like this and they all probably went to wheaton. I hope gunther finds our blogs or Andy's at least.
The Ontological Artsy Christian Blog must include:
1. A brief anecdote set in an independent cofffee shop. Said anecdote typically includes lingo ("barista" "venti" etc.) indicating that the blogger was, in fact, actually at Starbucks but is too embarrased to admit it.
2. A poem or frilly analogy praising the virtues of solitude. ( i.e. "Solitude is a precious salve for my soul.")
3. Complaints regarding lonliness that carefully attempt distinguish solitude from lonliness. i.e. "the only time I don't feel coldly alone is when I'm wrapped in the warm quilt of solitude." The blogger is generally unaware that her lack of non-cyber friends (much less an actual boyfriend or girlfriend) might be related to the massive amounts of time they spend chronicling their friendless existence. What a vicious cycle!
4. A to do list that includes sinking deeper into the grace of God and jumping into a puddle.
5. An appreciative anectdote regarding the authenticity of southern folk culture. Must include quaint and misspelled southern phrases.
6. Slightly reworked Ben Gibbard lyrics. Ok...so maybe they don't even need to be reworked..."you are beautiful, but you don't mean a thing to me..."
7. A fanatical insistence that Over the Rhine is the greatest band that you've never heard of. Even if you have heard them, they are still the greatest band that you've never heard of.
8. Name dropping of last year's hip authors. Has anybody ever heard of this Dave Eggers guy? Or how about Anne Lamott. Damn, she's edgy!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home